Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Airline Safety

In today's WSJ, there is an article about how airline accidents due to turbulence have decreased over the past few years. Last year, there were no serious or even minor injuries to passengers due to turbulence. Eight flight attendants did get hurt (typically broken ankles). In 1999 and 2000, there were 90 injuries to passengers and crew. The reasons cited were increased seat-belt use, better flight crew training and better weater forecasting. Also, due to security regulations, the crew frowns on passengers stand around near the bathrooms.

I always keep my seat belt buckled when seated. If nothing is going on, I might loosen it up a bit. If the turbulence warning is announced, I'll snug it up a bit. Turbulence is not going to hurt the airplane, but it can hurt me. I can still recall when I was flying a Cessna 152 near San Diego and hit a rough patch. My arms literally flew off the yoke and hit the ceiling before I realized what was happening.

So I always keep my seat belt fastened. I don't mind my arms flying around, but I prefer to keep my body firmly planted in my seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home