Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Safe Kayaking

I've been busy getting ready for the big kayaking trip this year, which entails going back to Isle Royale for a circumnavigation. To get ready for this, I've been doing some training over at Turtle Lake. Last week, I was out for about 75 minutes. About an hour of paddling, plus 15 minutes of rolling practice. At the far side of the lake, I started thinking about how I had been in a hurry to get on the lake, and was rushing to get the kayak off, etc. I remembered the key to the truck was in my pocket, so I dug it out and put in my PFD (aka life-jacket). This was not good - I had put the key in my shorts with the intent of transferring it to my PFD when I locked the truck up. Had I forgotten? Sure enough, when I came walking up, there was my truck with the driver side door wide open!

All the stuff was still inside - cell phone, wallet, big case of CDs. Wow!

In contrast, the truck I had in San Diego was broken into while I was rollerblading at Miramar reservoir - they punched the passenger side lock out and took my credit card.

Things like this remind my why I like living in Minnesota.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

Good to hear you are going to Ile Royale, Congrats on getting your roll going!

10:40 AM  
Blogger DaveO said...

We will expect a full report

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home