Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Spring Kayaking

I've been kayaking on the Missippii River since February (it never froze up). A week ago I was out, and a snow squall hit when I was in my middle of my route. The sleet was stinging so hard that I had to tuck my head close against my chest to try and protect my face. This only lasted 10 minutes or so, and then the storm passed.

The clouds cleared, and the setting sun bathed the lake and shoreline in a warm, red glow. The real treat was that the snow had really cooled down the surface of the lake, so there was a foggy mist rising up. The foreground was backlit by the setting sun, and the background was a very dark sky as the storm continued on to the east. This magical moment only lasted a few minutes - once the sun started warming everything up again, the fog quickly went away. My reward for not scampering back to shore when I saw the storm approaching?

Tonite was so warm that I did not need a jacket. I can already feel shorts and T-shirt weather coming up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home