Thursday, November 20, 2008

Big Truck in our Front Yard

It's been an interesting 24 hours for Alex. Last night he woke up at 12:30 and was having problems breathing (croup). Fortunately, he responded well the the recommended 20 minute steam bath. I responded pretty well too - in spite of sweating profusely (it was like a poor man's sauna), I was overjoyed when it was clear the technique was working. Needless to say, after 20 minutes we were pretty soaked with sweat, but the nurse had suggested heading outside for a bit for cold air. It was around 20F outside, so I think that qualifies.

So, I wrapped both of us up in a down comforter, and we headed out to the front porch. There was a chair there, so I plopped down and prepared to wait and slowly get cold. But, exactly the opposite happened. I was extremely comfortable, since it was a lot like being wrapped up in a down mummy bag. I was holding my son, who had put his head down on my shoulder and was obviously extremely relaxed (as stressed as I was, imagine if you were the one having the breathing issues). After 5 minutes, Pam came out to tell us we could come in, but Alex very firmly said, "NO!" So we hung out for another 5 minutes or so - I could easily have fallen asleep, and I think Alex felt the same way. But, we came in and soon everyone was asleep.

In the morning, Alex got a treat. One of his favorite things in the whole world is "Big Trucks". There is a loading dock next to daycare, and he really enjoys seeing the big rigs come and go. This morning our neighbors were movning in, so there was a moving truck right out front. Needless to say, the little guy was quite excited about that. We were doing a slow start to the day so everyone (well, Alex and myself) could get a little extra rest, so we spent some time checking out the truck. I wonder if Alex will now expect the truck to be there tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home